2/20/2005

Recycling

With the world's population booming, we will be faced with more and more problems as time progresses. One of the bigger issues we face today is waste management. We as American's have become quite comfortable with the idea of hauling our garbage cans out to the curb on a certain night of the week. We watch secretly from the front window as the trash collector compacts our trash then hauls it away. With landfills filling up, and a society that is encouraging recycling, I see more and more plastic recycle bins sitting out at the curb. Personally, at this point, I do not participate in this ritual. I would if there was a benefit that shows on my trash bill, but that would not happen. According to Rumpke, who is the local trash collection agency, it is not profitable for them to collect all the bottles, plastics and paper. I find this extremely hard to believe. I am baffled by the thought of the amount of recyclable material they collect and cannot turn a profit on it. Of course, I can be wrong.
 Posted by Hello

1 Comments:

At 6:09 PM, Blogger RS said...

Hawaii just went to a 5 cent deposit on all cans and bottles. I make my kids do the recycle thing and they will get the deposit back. Regarding all the other recyclables, it requires city mandate to force the recycling issue. I don't pay a trash bill, so I don't participate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home