5/22/2005

Take This Return and Shove It!



Once upon a time, I purchased a firescreen for my fireplace a Home Depot. After I got it home and was putting it together, I realized that there were several pieces missing, including the instructions. I decided to return it. At the return counter, I told her that all the other firescreens looked as if they had been opened before and I wanted my money back or a store credit. For some reason, she would not give me a store credit becasue it was a damaged item. My only option was to take a credit to my debit card, which is how I paid for it initially. My problem is, she told me the credit would take place in about a week. So here I am, $200 out of my checking account and no firescreen. I only wonder if this is store policy or if the lady was just being ignorant.

4 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Blogger KTK said...

Now, I know if you paid with a credit/debit card, they will only credit that card back, at almost every place.

But...why would that NOT give you a store credit??? How friggin stupid are they? That would only ensure that $200.00 would be coming back to their store!!

Even Menards gives store credits if you request it.

The way I see it, they screwed themselves, because now you have 2 weeks to go look around and find another screen at one of their competitors!!

What MORONS

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger halcyon67 said...

I agree with Right Winger.

 
At 2:14 PM, Blogger Rarebird Nine said...

I worked in a department store that had a similar policy as far as the debit card credit went. The reason was because the company technically didn't accept debit cards, but if a debit card had a Visa or Mastercard logo, the computer processed it as a credit card transaction and the bank converted it to a debit. So, while you may have considered it a cash transaction, Home Depot probably considers it a credit card transaction, so they credit the funds back to your account accordingly.

But I have no idea why they would not issue a store credit. I think the process is probably simpler for the clerk to credit your debit card than it is to issue a store credit, so she probably just made her job easier.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

unfortunately, it happens more than you think, bud. Happened to me, too. Pathetic, but true. That is store policy. We lowly servants of the public in retail service get bitched at for it every day. Especially at Kamapart (Kmart).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home