4/23/2005

Why are so many kids fat?




As I watch the news, and read the newspaper and other online resources, I am hearing more and more about the child obesity epidemic. Many people ask why, but I don't think you need to. Just take a look around. When a child wakes up in the morning, what do they have for breakfast? Are they having the wheat bagel like their parents? Orange Juice? Probably not. In fact, my guess would be they are eating some sort of commercialized candy in a breakfast wrapper. This candy could be in the form of cold cereal or Pop-Tarts or something else of the like. Any more, at school, the children have many choices about what they can have for lunch. I can assure you, they are not eating their vegetables. No, more like pizza. Your child could probably eat pizza every day for lunch and would not raise any red flags. Who is teaching our children about healthy eating? After school, it's snacks. After dinner, dessert. Before bed, snacks. I would encourage everyone to rent and watch the move "Super Size Me!". It is very eye opening about fast foods. Also a good site to visit with your children is http://www.kidshealth.org

8 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Georges said...

lol. please tell me that photo has been photo-shopped!!!!

if not, forget the lol. very sad :-(

blame goes to the parents.

 
At 9:59 PM, Blogger shoes said...

good blog. i like the way you write. you made my faves list.

 
At 10:06 PM, Blogger bschneider5 said...

Hey thanks!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger bschneider5 said...

Gea3, I didn't editthe pic, sadly, I think some sorry parent actually let their kid get this way!

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Georges said...

un-f-believable!!!

 
At 10:31 AM, Blogger bschneider5 said...

I don't thonk kids like that know any other way!

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger Alisa said...

Brad,

Great blog. I linked here from "Weary Hags".

Schools don't enforce healthy eating standards for children any more than their parents do. Fast and cheap is what it's all about. The question to them isn't "how do I keep my child from being obese" but "who am I going to sue for this?"

I seriously believe that childhood obesity (not due to any disorder of thyroids and whatnot) should be considered either child abuse or child neglect and also be considered investigatable and punishable.

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Cardboard Knight said...

Oh my god, this is the third post i randomly read, and i STILL found something to say about it! I watched "Super Size Me"! It was disgusting! I hated the part when they were doing surgery on the a guy and they were poking him for some reason, and it showed you what it looked like inside. I almost threw up!
-The Master Of Splap

 

Post a Comment

<< Home