4/27/2005

School Levies



More and more schools are going to the people asking for more money. They cite the state has cut funding and cannot afford to operate with the current level of funding. I'm sure this is true, the federal government cuts spending, the state government must cut spending, the company I work for has been making drastic cuts as well. As a result, I get paid less and I have to make cuts in my household. It seems to me the only people that don't seem to be making cuts are the schools. My son came home with a list explaining all the drastic cuts that will be made if new levies will not be passed. I am sure there are many cuts the schools can make and make a difference, before they have to eliminate bussing, libraries, sports, etc.

9 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger Isa said...

Sounds like the States have it as rough as Canada. One always thinks it's worse in their own situation until they realize others have the same problems...

By the way, thanks for posting on my Blog!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Trisha said...

As an educator I see the complete opposite side of this situation, but I also understand your frustrations and concerns. So much for the idea of a free and equal education to all children.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger DIABLO6 said...

It is not only the schools that are cutting costs. I work in a bank and we are no longer allowed to get overtime, and they are more than likely going to cut my mileage too. The bank is even making workers retire. The economy has two sides. One side being sympathetic and the other being greedy. The ones affected by the cuts are working closely with the greedy side of the economy.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger Jude said...

My school district spends $5700 per year per student for elementary education. That is more than the tuition of many of the local colleges. Call me ignorant, but seems to me it should be cheaper to teach a first grader how to hold a pencil than it does to teach college kids and keep up a college campus.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger bschneider5 said...

Jude I think you're on to something!!!!

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger bschneider5 said...

Paying a Librarian 65,000 per year also adds to the problem. No offense to the librarians, more power to 'em. I just think it is a bit much to pay someone to read books to kids for 9 months of the year.

 
At 12:39 AM, Blogger Peggy said...

What an interesting array of subjects you cover here. I'll visit again!

 
At 2:27 AM, Blogger Bd the QB said...

in our town the teachers get 35 to 40 k per year the superintendent gets 250k per year. The schools are not even accredited by the state minimum standards. I don't make even 40k per year but my work is considered excellent by my customers. AND.. I work 52 weeks a year..LIFE.. as my dad used to say.. AIN'T Fair..

 
At 4:51 AM, Blogger bschneider5 said...

"Life ain't fair"......And that's exactly what the school board members will be thinking when they are voted out of their jobs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home